Already a member? Login Here.
Broccoli and Leek Soup
- 1 medium leek
- ½ white onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 russet potato
- 2 heads broccoli, small
- 32 ounces vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 purple carrots or radish for garnish
- Prepare the Vegetables
- Cut the green part off of the leek. Slice down the middle, lengthwise, then rinse under running
- water. Cut into small pieces. Place into a mixing bowl.
- Remove the skin and cut the onion into small pieces. Add to bowl.
- Cut the celery into small pieces. Add to bowl.
- Peel and cut the potato into small pieces and place in a separate bowl.
- Cut the stem off of the broccoli and chop into small pieces. Add to the bowl with the potato.
- Cut the head of the broccoli into medium pieces. Set aside.
- Start the Soup
- Place a stockpot over medium heat; add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add onions, leeks, and celery and sauté until they begin to turn translucent. Add ½ tablespoon
- Add the potato and broccoli stem. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli pieces. Cook for 5 minutes
- Add the stock and water and simmer until potatoes are fork tender. There should be at least an
- inch of liquid over the vegetables; add water as needed. Lower the heat and let simmer 15-20
- Puree with an immersion blender, blender or food processor.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt and Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using the peeler, make long ribbons of purple carrots.
- Garnish soup with purple carrot ribbons or sliced radish.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, finely diced
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can artichoke hearts in water, drained & quartered
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ cup black olives, pitted
- ¼ cup currants
- 1 bunch mint leaves, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine broth, quinoa, bay leaf, turmeric, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Stir in lemon rind and cover.
- Bring pot to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until water is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add tomato, artichokes, onion, olives and currants, mix well to combine.
- Top with mint and serve.