This morning, we shared some VegOut! fun with Great Day Houston viewers. With the help of VegOut! HERE partner and long-time Recipe for Success Chefs Advisory Board member, Kiran Verma of Kiran’s Restaurant, we joined Deborah Duncan in the studio kitchen to enlighten folks about an unusual veg – JICAMA!
Kiran showed how easy it is to toss together a unique and delicious salad of fresh vegetables, amped up by a tasty dressing. Deborah was a fan. We think you will be, too, so we’ve provided Kiran’s recipe below.
OR, stop by Kiran’s on Jan 17 (Jicama Day) – or any day in March – to try the chef’s daily specials, featuring our Veggie of the Day. Getting your veggies couldn’t be simpler!
Jicama Salad with Mango and Champagne Vinaigrette
By Kiran Verma, Kiran’s Restaurant
1 large jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 small red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
1 large firm mango, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1/2 red onion, cut into matchsticks
1 cup Baby Arugula
¼ tea spoon roasted Cumin
¼ cup Pomegranate seeds
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
2 limes, juiced
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoon of Champagne Vinegar
2 teaspoon Mango Pulp
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper mélange
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
1/8 teaspoon chaat masala
- Toss jicama, red pepper, mango, and red onion together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Stir cilantro, lime juice, honey, mango pulp, vinegar, Pepper Mélange, salt, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the jicama mixture and toss to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Lightly toss Baby Arugula in olive oil.
- Garnish the salad with pomegranate seeds and roasted cumin.