A recipe favorite around our Seed-to-Plate Nutrition Education™ classes is our 1-2-3 Salad, which comes together as simply as it sounds and lends itself to endless customization, depending on your taste and what’s in the garden, at the farmers market, or in your fridge.
In honor of RADISH being yesterday’s VegOut! Veggie of the Day, Seed-to-Plate students at MacGregor Elementary used radishes from their Recipe Garden in the 1-2-3 Salad.
What did they have do say?
“I don’t like it… I love it!”
Make your own, then share the results and tell us what you thought! Read a Seed-to-Plate volunteer and 1-2-3 Salad believer’s testimony on the awesomeness of this salad here.
Yield: 4-6 Tastings
From Chef Monica Pope for Recipe for Success
For the salad:
2 large handfuls of mixed lettuce
¼ cup seasonal vegetables (choose a mixture for color, texture and flavor)
¼ cup nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.)
¼ cup fruit (dried or fresh)
¼ cup grains (quinoa, orzo, couscous, etc.)
¼ cup cheese (Parmesan, feta, blue cheese, etc.)
For the dressing:
½ cup extra virgin olive oil or grape seed oil
1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
1/8 cup balsamic or sherry vinegar
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Optional: lemon juice, soy sauce, and/or citrus zest in place of the balsamic or sherry vinegar.
Make a simple dressing:
- Measure the vinegar, honey, salt and pepper and add to a mixing bowl.
- Whisk lightly until the ingredients come together. Taste. Adjust if necessary.
- Measure the oil. Slowly pour the oil into the vinegar mixture while whisking.
- The oil and vinegar has come together or “emulsified” when you notice the consistency thicken and color become cloudy. Set aside.
Prepare the salad ingredients:
- Tear lettuce with your hands. Avoid using a knife to cut lettuce, it may turn it brown. Add to a bowl.
- Chop seasonal vegetables into small pieces and add to the bowl with the lettuce.
- Select additional ingredients: a nut, a fruit (dried or fresh), a cooked grain and a cheese. Measure and sprinkle into the bowl with the lettuce and vegetables.
Dress the salad:
- Add dressing ¼ cup at a time. You want to make sure that you do not put too much!
- Toss ingredients together with your clean hands or a set of tongs. Make sure to coat each leaf well.
- Taste. Add more dressing if needed.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.