Congratulations to VegOut! challenger Erika Kwee for winning our Most Veg Recipe Flash Contest! Also known on Instagram and her blog as The Pancake Princess, Erika’s winning veggie concoction included a whopping 15 vegetables. In addition to the veggie count, we were also impressed by the creativity she displayed in getting so many veggies into one meal. Check it out!
15-Veggie Burger on Carrot Buns
For the carrot buns:
6 medium carrots, shaved using a vegetable peeler
2 tablespoons flour
Dash of salt and pepper
Dried herbs of choice (basil, parsley, dill, tarragon, rosemary, etc.), optional
For the veggie burger patties:
2 medium sweet potatoes, steamed, baked or microwaved until tender
½ small onion, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
spices of choice: I used ½ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary, salt and pepper
1 ½ cups mixed vegetables of choice: I used ½ cup broccoli, 1/3 cup frozen butternut squash, a handful of kale, and 2 tablespoons each: frozen peas, frozen edamame, corn, bell pepper
2 green onions, sliced
3 tablespoons hummus
For garnish: fresh cilantro, spinach and cucumber slices
To make the carrot buns:
- Toss the carrot shavings with the flour, salt, pepper and dried herbs until evenly coated.
- Heat 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Use a fork to twirl the carrot strands into a large clump, then pull the clump off your fork and flatten to form a rough circle—this will serve as the bun for your burger.
- Fry carrot “buns” for several minutes on each side, or until golden with a slight crust.
To make the veggie burgers:
- Steam, bake or microwave your sweet potatoes until tender. A medium sweet potato will take about 45 minutes to bake in a 375 degree oven or 5 minutes in a microwave. Once cooked, set aside to cool before peeling off the skin.
- Sauté the onion in 1-2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and spices and cook for another minute. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the green onion and hummus to the pan with a splash of water and cover. Steam for several minutes until any frozen vegetables are warmed through. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, mash the cooked sweet potato, sautéed vegetables, green onions and hummus together (add more hummus if needed). Form patties 1/3 cup at a time and fry over medium heat in a few teaspoons of olive oil, about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Serve on top of carrot buns with cucumber, cilantro and spinach.
For more tasty recipes by Erika, visit her blog, The Pancake Princess.