|8 portions||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
|55 minutes||1 hour|
Silver Palate recipes have become favorite easy family meals. This one is a delicious alternative to traditional TexMex style chili, just as lush and spicy as those with lots of beef and pork.
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp course kosher salt
- 2/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions 1/4 inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large green bell peppers cored, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 35 oz can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pound fresh Italian plum tomatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin ground
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 1 tbsp dry basil
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley chopped
- 1 cup canned dark kidney beans drained
- 1 cup canned chickpeas drained
- 1/2 cup fresh dill chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Sour Cream or plain Greek Style yogurt
- cheddar cheese shredded
- Place eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with the course salt. Let stand for one hour, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat 1/2 cup of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the eggplant and sauté until almost tender, adding oil if needed. Remove the eggplant to a Dutch oven.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil in the same skillet over low heat. Add the onions, garlic and green peppers; saute until just softened--about 10 minutes. Add to the eggplant in the Dutch oven.
- Place the Dutch oven over low heat and add the canned tomatoes with their liquid, fresh tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, fennel and parsley. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans, chick peas, dill and lemon juice and cook for another 15 minutes.The eggplant peel should be tender.Stir well and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or pain yogurt and a sprinkling of shredded cheese.