So you’ve got those delicious, fresh, beginning-of-the-season tomatoes from the Farm Stand or farmer’s market. They’re gorgeously sitting on your counter making your mouth water, and you’ve popped popped one in every time you walk by… now what? You could always make tomato sauce – especially if you freeze it for later, but we’re sure you’ve already got an amazing family recipe for that. We’re here to offer some other options for this flirty nightshade (recipes linked below).
- Black Bean & Tomato Quinoa – brimming with tomatoes and scallions, this make ahead quinoa recipe is the perfect answer to your weekly food-prep prayers. It only takes 25 minutes and can be used as a side or base for any meal, any time of day.
- Pico De Gallo Salsa – We all have our favorite chip brand, the one we always reach for in the store, so delicious and crunchy and just the right amount of salt… but what to pair it with? This salsa is the perfect companion. Just hot enough, with hints of cilantro and lime, it can last you up to one week in the fridge, and will be a party favorite.
- Quinoa Pilaf – We know, quinoa again. But we’re seriously crushing on this ancient grain, particularly because of it’s versatility. This recipe makes use of all that is currently in season – mint, artichoke, tomato, red onions, and bay leaves.
- Tomato Pie – When you want to wow you friends for a dinner party during tomato season, this is your go to. A true Southern Style pie made with tomatoes just at their peak, this looks and tastes more challenging than it is to bake – just take your time.
- Caprese Salad – This one needs no recipe. The perfect snack on a warm evening, just slice some mozzarella cheese on a plate with tomatoes, olive oil, salt & pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Pair this with a little cured meat and some olives for the perfect seasonal insalata.
Ready to try these out? Let us know how they go! Tag us with #vegoutrfs, #vegout2019 & @r4sfoundation on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!