Developed for the Seed-to-Plate Nutrition Education Program
- 1 cup cooked grains black rice, faro, barley
- 2 oranges blood oranges or tangerines
- 1 small fennel bulb cored and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup nuts/seeds chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest finely grated
- 1 lemon squeezed
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fennel fronds chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Prepare your mise en place.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the grain of choice with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over moderately low heat until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Finely grate 1 tsp. zest from 1 orange; set aside. Using a sharp knife cut all peel and white pith from all 2 oranges. Cut between membranes to release segments into a medium bowl; discard membranes.
- In a bowl whisk together zest, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, oil, salt and fennel fronds.
- Toss the grains, citrus, fennel and nuts (if using). Add vinaigrette and toss again.