Created by Chef Ryan Pera for the Recipe for Success Foundation’s Seed-to-Plate Nutrition Education™ program at NQ Henderson Elementary School.
- ½ cup seasonal green leafy vegetables (kale, collard greens, spinach)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- cooking spray
- 1 recipe Recipe for Success Flatbread Dough
- Prepare your mise en place.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Roll out the dough and divide it into 6 portions. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Finely dice the green leafy vegetables
- Divide the vegetables into 6 equal portions
- Sprinkle a clean flat surface with flour. Place one piece of dough on the floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten one of the balls of dough into a circle about 7 inches across.
- Brush ¼ teaspoon sesame oil onto the round of dough. Sprinkle a pinch of salt onto the round of dough Then spread the oil and salt around with your fingers to completely coat the round.
- Sprinkle one portion of the vegetables onto the round. Lightly press the vegetables into the dough with your fingers.
- Fold the round in half and then fold in half again. Roll into a ball with your hands.
- Sprinkle the dough ball with a little flour. Flatten it with your hand and roll it out again into a circle about 5 inches in diameter.
- Repeat with the remaining 5 dough balls.
- Place a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Add one of the dough circles to the pan and cook on one side for 4 minutes or until the bottom side is browned (don’t be scared to take a peek underneath with a pancake turner to lift the edge).
- Flip the pancake over with a spatula or pancake turner. Cook the other side for about 4 more minutes or until the bottom is browned.
- Remove your pancake to a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven to keep it warm while you cook the remaining dough circles.
Use this recipe as a fun flatbread topped with your favorite veggies and cheese or serve it with Ginger Lime Dipping Sauce--another recipe from Chef Pera.
• Add some color…try adding some grated carrots to the pancakes when adding the green leafy vegetables.