- 2 sweet-potatoes large or 4 smaller ones can be used
- 12 dried mission figs stems removed, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- 4 banana leaves approximate 9 inch square
- ¼ cup roasted cashew nuts roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 serrano chile very thinly sliced (optional)
- 4 tablespoon crème fraiche or sour cream
- ¼ cup Cotija cheese or queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 lime cut into quarters
- Prepare your mise en place.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Roast the sweet potatoes until fully cooked & very soft – approximately 45 minutes or longer depending on the size. Cool to room temperature.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the sliced dried figs, vinegar, salt & pepper, and minced ginger. Lightly toss. Allow the figs to marinate for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a skillet over set on medium high, heat the banana leave pieces just until they become flexible.
- Lay the banana leaves on a work surface.
- Slice the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. (If using smaller sweet potatoes, split the sweet potatoes open & press lightly to flatten.) Place a piece of sweet potato on each banana leaf.
- Distribute the fig mixture over the sweet potatoes.
- Distribute the cashews over the sweet potatoes.
- Place a piece of butter on top of each sweet potato. Fold up the banana leaf to enclose the sweet potato. Tie with a piece of string to secure.
- Place the sweet potato packages in a broad skillet in a single layer. Add just enough water to cover the bottom of the skillet – approximately 1/8 inch deep.
- Cover the skillet with a lid or with aluminum foil. Heat the skillet to gently steam the sweet potato packages – approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the packages from the skillet. Cut the string and unfold on dinner plates keeping the sweet potato and any juices in the center of the banana leaf.
- Sprinkle the minced Serrano chile (optional) and the crème fraiche & crumbled cheese over the sweet potato. Garnish with a wedge of fresh lime.
Substitutions: dried corn husks soaked in water until flexible or parchment paper.