Recipe by VegOut! Challenge Ambassador & Chef Erin O’Leary Stewart of DEFINE Foods
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 splash red wine
- 2-4 Tbsp fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, and sage
- 2 large apples cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp each ground spices like clove, nutmeg, coriander, cinnamon, sea salt, & black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 1 cup lentils cooked
- 1 cup hazelnuts toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4-1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery and pinch of red pepper flakes and sauté until translucent. Add the mushrooms, garlic, splash of red wine, a couple Tbsp fresh herbs, and pinch sea salt and continue to cook a few minutes more until mushroom start to cook down. Add the apples (reserving a few slices), vinegar, maple, and spices and cook a few minutes more.
- Take off the heat and stir in the quinoa, lentils, hazelnuts and cranberry. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Add vegetable broth, if needed, 2 Tbsp at a time, until mixture is slightly moist.
- Transfer to a large baking dish. Add the remaining apple slices and top with more fresh herbs. Bake for 15- 20 minutes, until heated through. Turn oven up to broil and cook 5 minutes longer to crisp the top, watching close to be certain not to burn.