Adapted from Chef Rachel Ray’s recipe, The Food Network
- 2 cup packed lemon basil leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup pecorino romano cheese separated into large chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Pulse pine nuts in a food processor until separated into small pieces. Scrape down sides, then add garlic and olive oil. Pulse until ingredients are finely chopped in chunks, but not a paste texture—stop and scrape sides with spatula when needed
- Add the herbs, lemon juice, zest, salt, and pepper and pulse until incorporated—stopping every 15 seconds or so to scrape the sides.
- Finally, add in the large cheese chunks and pulse until ingredients are finely chopped (but not pasty). Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy on toast, roasted vegetables, pasta or marinade for fish!