- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 4 pounds butternut squash peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 inch ginger peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 quart water
- 1 quart low-fat milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt
- Prepare your mise en place.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, sauté until tender--about 5 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and the ginger to the skillet. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add cumin and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add water and milk to the skillet. Season with pepper. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the soup and yogurt to a blender. Puree in batches until smooth. Season to taste. Enjoy!
Careful when working with hot liquid in the blender to not overfill.