Recipe and tips from Chef Justin Kouri.
- 1 eggplant cut into 1/2 inch pieces and disgorged (notes below)
- 2 Medium tomatoes cut in 1/2” slices
- 1 8 oz ball fresh Mozzarella cut into 1/2 slices
- 1/4 Cup + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1/4 Cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- 4 Sprigs fresh basil leaves
- Preheat grill to high. If using a grill pan, place it over high heat on the stove.
- Dry the eggplant by patting with a paper towel.
- Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and place on the grill.
- Cook until dark grill marks appear, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While the eggplant cools, whisk together ¼ cup of olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium size bowl.
- Construct the salad by stacking or layering components: eggplant, tomato, mozzarella, eggplant, tomato, mozzarella, eggplant.
- Spoon vinaigrette over and around the salad and garnish with basil.
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
How To Disgorge An Eggplant:
Eggplants are a loaded with water. In order to concentrate their flavor, place eggplant slices on a paper towel and lightly salt them. This will force the eggplant to secrete water while absorbing the salt, known as disgorging. Since there is less moisture in a disgorged eggplant, it won’t end up soggy on the grill! Be sure to implement this neat trick about one hour prior to using the eggplant.