Recipe by VegOut! Challenge Ambassador & Chef Erin O’Leary Stewart of DEFINE Foods
- 1 lbs parsnips peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1-2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 10-12 Brussels sprouts stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1 Tbsp parsley chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- balsamic vinegar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Toss the parsnips and apple in a bowl with 1 Tbsp oil, sea salt and black pepper. Spread evenly onto a foil-lined bake sheet and roast until fork tender, about 20- 25 minutes.
- To make the Pecan Gremelota, toss the shaved Brussels in a small bowl with the pecans, parsley, pomegranate seeds, lemon juice and zest, plus 1 Tbsp olive oil. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Transfer the parsnips and apples to a blender. Add the stock and puree until smooth. Add the maple, and season with more salt and pepper. Pour soup into a large saucepan and heat over medium heat until warmed through.
- To serve, spoon into bowls and season with gremolata.