Nothing Says LOVE Like Veggies
Everyone wants to create that special evening on Valentine’s Day. You’ve bought a gift, perhaps some chocolate, perhaps some wine; you’ve set aside the time for a romantic meal with your partner/spouse/new fling. You know that everyone goes out for the 14th, so you’ve decided to impress with your culinary skills. But what to cook? Lucky for you, we’ve got some great veggie-forward dishes that are sure to inspire both a love of vegetables and love of the cook.
- Stuffed Endive – want to knock them off their feet right at the start? These little delicacies will do just that. Crunchy endive stuffed with walnuts, dried cranberries, honey, & thyme will set the perfect mood for your meal.
- Sautéed Romanesco – Sure to win the heart of your dinner guests, this restaurant-worthy side brings seasonal cauliflower to perfection with shallots, almonds, and dried cherries.
- Mixed Greens Salad with Beets – ‘Tis the height of the season for both greens and beets, and they blend perfectly together in this light salad with goat cheese and pistachios. Plus, who can say no to a vegetable color-coordinated with the holiday?
- Red Penne – While pasta in a delicious red sauce may seem the focus of this main course, the seasonal Arugula is really what makes this baby shine. Slightly spicy yet beautifully fresh, it’s the perfect pairing for this highly-seasoned dish.
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding – We always want to finish the evening with a little something sweet. This pudding will taste as rich as any regular dessert, but won’t leave you too weighed down for after-dinner fun. Try topping it with some freshly cut strawberries and cacao nibs for an extra-special twist.
Let us see how fancy you were! Tag your feats of culinary creativity with #vegout2019 & #vegoutrfs.
Fast Meals Fit For Resolutions
We know your new year is full of goals, resolutions, and plans for a great 2019, ours is too. You’re at a spin class this week, trying yoga the next. Having green juice for breakfast, quinoa bowls for dinner, and totally not drinking (okay… maybe a glass or two – I mean, it’s got antioxidants, right?). On top of that you’ve still got a full workload, social obligations, and family life…
You’ve also committed to eating more veggies. So how do you fit them in? We’ve got some great ideas for delicious & healthy recipes you can make in 20 minutes and under.
- Winter in the South is the best time for Braised Mustard Greens, and this delicious recipe will be the perfect end-of-day treat, only requiring one pan of clean up!
- Just finished your morning work out, and want a healthy way to start the rest of your day? Add a few eggs to this Garden Bok Choy Stir Fry, and you’ll have plenty of veggie-centered energy to get you to lunch or later.
- Even when you’re eating clean, you still want to snack. Instead of grabbing the chips and dip, try carrot sticks and hummus. Chickpeas are a great source of protein, and will keep you feeling satisfied until your main meal.
- Though we’re used to seeing coleslaw as a side, this delicious Mexican Coleslaw can make a great lunch. Mix this with a protein and some avocado – so good!
- For something you can prep at home on Sunday and take to the office for the perfect light lunch, try Vietnamese Spring Rolls. They’re easy to assemble, and you can create any combination of delicious veggies to suit the contents of your fridge.
Ready to get cooking? Tag us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter with the hashtags #vegoutrfs & #vegout2019!
VegOut! with Maggie Flecknoe on cw39 Houston
Just in case you missed our segment on cw39’s Morning Dose last week! We were thrilled to have Maggie Flecknoe at Recipe House, where she tried some amazing veggies prepared by Chef Greg Martin of Bistro Menil. She’s taking the VegOut! Challenge this January, and invited the whole Morning Dose team!
Holiday Recipes with a Healthy Twist on KHOU
We loved having KHOU out at the farm to film this segment for Great Day Houston! Chef Erin O’Leary Stewart of DEFINE Foods prepared 5 healthy holiday dishes you can make and enjoy with your family. All of which are now up on our recipes page!
If you want to see the clip, you can watch it here.
Then head over to see the recipes and get cooking!